What is Desktop 3D Printing?
Imagine a robot that sits on your desk, and builds anything you tell it to from a spool of bioplastic.
Imagine that it makes these things by heating up the plastic then squeezing it out like toothpaste from a tube. Imagine it smells faintly of caramelizing sugar.
Imagine that the designs for the printer, the software that runs it, the software that designs things to be printed, and almost infinite quantities of pre-made designs, are all free.
And imagine that if you are smart, you can buy the parts to build the printer for $500. Or if you are smarter, you can buy a kit of guaranteed compatible parts for $825.
I don't have to imagine any of that, I've got it sitting on my desk right now.
Tags I use3D ancient religions architecture assembly ATX bronze Brother bruthead building Canvas connections crimps curing cycladic figures Dalek dimensions Dragon electronics endstops extruder extrusion filament firmware freezing Goddesses heatbed Heated Build Platform Inkscape instruction kit Lego Magic MakerBlock MakerGear Marlin Mendel Mendel Prusa model mouse Netfabb objects OpenSCAD Pirate Ship PLA plastruder Pronterface Prusa puppetry RAMPS Raygun RepRap retraction Sappho Scan-N-Cut ScanNCut sculpture settings size Skimbal skirt Slic3r software solid geometry Spanner Sprinter statues Stepper motors studio SVG TARDIS Thingiverse translucent Troubleshooting warping Wrench
Most recent posts
Top Posts & Pages
- Retraction solution with Marlin, Pronterface and Slic3r
- Retraction, Huh! What is it good for?
- ATX power supply 5V load resistor for better 12V regulation
- Getting your motors moving on a MakerGear Mendel Prusa
- RepRap 3D printers, PLA, and moisture problems
- RAMPS v1.4 connection photographs
- Teaching Slic3r to remember your settings
- My Mendel Prusa is ready for printing
- How to assemble a Heated Build Platform
- Essential tools for building a MakerGear Mendel Prusa kit
July 2015 M T W T F S S « Mar 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Tag Archives: translucent
I’m working hard on writing up my electronics assembly notes for my Makergear Mendel Prusa, but off to one side my printer is faithfully assembling molecules into magic, printing a Dragon’s head .