What is Desktop 3D Printing?
Imagine a robot that sits on your desk, and builds anything you tell it to from a spool of bioplastic.
Imagine that it makes these things by heating up the plastic then squeezing it out like toothpaste from a tube. Imagine it smells faintly of caramelizing sugar.
Imagine that the designs for the printer, the software that runs it, the software that designs things to be printed, and almost infinite quantities of pre-made designs, are all free.
And imagine that if you are smart, you can buy the parts to build the printer for $500. Or if you are smarter, you can buy a kit of guaranteed compatible parts for $825.
I don't have to imagine any of that, I've got it sitting on my desk right now.
Tags I use3D ancient religions architecture assembly ATX bronze Brother bruthead building Canvas connections crimps curing cycladic figures Dalek dimensions Dragon electronics endstops extruder extrusion filament firmware freezing Goddesses heatbed Heated Build Platform hideous Inkscape instruction kit Lego Magic MakerBlock MakerGear Marlin Mendel Mendel Prusa model mouse Netfabb objects OpenSCAD Pirate Ship PLA plastruder Pronterface Prusa puppetry RAMPS Raygun RepRap retraction Sappho ScanNCut sculpture settings size Skimbal skirt Slic3r software solid geometry Spanner Sprinter statues Stepper motors studio TARDIS Thingiverse translucent Troubleshooting warping workflow Wrench
Most recent posts
Top Posts & Pages
- ATX power supply 5V load resistor for better 12V regulation
- Retraction solution with Marlin, Pronterface and Slic3r
- Getting your motors moving on a MakerGear Mendel Prusa
- How to assemble a Heated Build Platform
- Teaching Slic3r to remember your settings
- Retraction, Huh! What is it good for?
- Brother Scan-N-Cut and Expanding My Focus
- RAMPS v1.4 connection photographs
- My Sprinter configuration.h file
- ScanNCut Canvas Terms and Conditions of Use
Tag Archives: translucent
I’m working hard on writing up my electronics assembly notes for my Makergear Mendel Prusa, but off to one side my printer is faithfully assembling molecules into magic, printing a Dragon’s head .