Updated Slic3r config file for version 0.7.0

For a while now I’ve been exclusively using Slic3r for converting .stl files to .gcode files, so I can print things on my home-built 3D printer. The current version of Slic3r is 0.7.0, and it does what I expect it to most of the time. I’ve been successfully experimenting with different settings for things like ‘Lift’ and ‘Retract Speed’ lately so I’ve updated the file I’ve posted as the Slic3r config page on this blog.

These settings work fine for me, except for a touch of stringing now and then. Rumour has it that one cause of this stringing has already been fixed in Slic3r’s github build. I’m not set up to build the executable from the source code, so I’ll have to wait for the next general release before confirming this.

Lift

I’ve turned on 0.1mm of ‘Lift’, so that when hopping between regions the printhead doesn’t catch on the slightly raised plastic of the current layer. The nozzle lifts by 0.1mm before the start of the hop, and lowers again by the same amount where it needs to start extruding the next segment.

My understanding is that there is a very slight degree of ‘swell’ as the plastic is extruded out of the nozzle. This means that the newly laid plastic is slightly too tall for the nozzle to pass over it again without contact. As the nozzle moves from one area to another over already printed plastic the nozzle rubs on the raised surface. Sometimes you can hear it. It is even worse if you are over-extruding plastic through having your extruder poorly calibrated.

Now that I’ve got my retraction speed set correctly – so no more blobs at the beginning of line sections – the addition of 0.1mm of ‘Lift’ has dramatically reduced the incidence of layer offsets caused by the nozzle dragging, especially on complicated build plates with lots of parts and serious fan cooling.

My Setup

I’m printing on my MakerGear Mendel Prusa kit, with 0.35mm Bruthead extruder and 1.75mm silver PLA filament, and using Pronterface and Marlin non-gen6 version 0.9.10L software and RAMPS 1.4 hardware. You’ll obviously have to set the temperature and sizes to suit your filament, but otherwise these values should work ok.

About these ads
This entry was posted in 3d printing, Software and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Updated Slic3r config file for version 0.7.0

  1. Joy Window says:

    Hello Brazen Artifice,

    I’ve awarded you [insert sound of trumpets] a Liebster Award. Please see my blog for details.

    Best wishes,
    Joy

  2. Mark C says:

    Andrew,
    Great to see you’re still printing and keeping your blog active! I’m back to getting my Prusa running after taking a 3-month hiatus to deal with life. Last I left off, my machine was printing, but just printing globs of goop. If you have any tips for initial configuration and calibration, I’m all ears. Otherwise, back to tinkering!

    • BrazenArtifice says:

      Hi Mark, nice to see you back.

      I can’t remember what you are printing with. If it is PLA, have you put blue painter’s tape on the print bed? For ABS you need to use kapton tape instead.

      If you are printing on the right sort of tape but the plastic still isn’t sticking properly, then I’d guess you need to level your print bed and then set your Z-endstop accurately.

      I had a long-running email discussion with one of my blog followers (hi Gary!) about this, but I haven’t written it up into a step-by-step post yet.

      Maybe a google search on Prusa bed levelling will help you, til I get my post written.

      One thing I will say up-front. Loosen off all four of the nyloc nuts at the bottom of the bed adjusters before doing any shifting of corner heights. Otherwise you end up warping the print bed out of being flat. That warping then transfers through the Y-carriage and onto the Y-smooth rods. This causes a huge increase in friction when moving the Y axis, and ruined all the prints I tried until I realised what was happening.

      Don’t tighten up the nyloc nuts until the bed is level and flat. Then you can do them up gently. Their real purpose is to provide just enough friction to stop the adjuster nuts from spinning and coming loose.

      That’s my theory, anyway!

Please leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s